Peter Loso was main settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German arrangement in August, 1854. He said section 9-10 on which the Town of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon adopted and the Township was prepared in 1858 covering 81 square miles. Actually called Clinton, St. Joseph acquired its current name in 1870. Many settlers emerged for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Town was integrated in 1890. As the township grew, so does the needs of its residents, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their plan in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a jail, install a people well, build and repair real wood sidewalks, and placed liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a challenge and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was structured, which is currently the St. Joseph Flames Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was thriving with around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the families after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 reducing enough time to milk cows so additional time could be allocated to crops and animal care. Soon after, World War 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to fight.
After the war ended people were in a position to get their lives again on the right track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in St. Joseph Missourr 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in effect so lots of the farmers considered making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the market crash. Along with the depression get more info effecting everyone in town, the community needed to adhere together more than ever. Through a federal offer, the Council could hire the unemployed to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially joined the united states into World Conflict 2. Rationing tokens were given out because so many items were an issue. At that time St. Joseph had a society of around here 1050, sacrificing 10 heroic troops to the war. The community continued to be strong and continuing to increase the Town, adding a water tower in 1949, plus a new Village well. In 1959, St. Joseph started out fluoridating its water supply, and persists to do so.